February 14, 2018. ELEVEN students from Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD) yesterday penned scholarship agreements with Hengyi Industries Sdn Bhd for its joint Chemical and Process Engineering Scholarship Programme between UBD and Zhejiang University, China.
The Chemical and Process Engineering Scholarship Programme was established by Hengyi Industries with UBD and Zhejiang University to sponsor outstanding UBD students to undertake the latter part of their academic studies and industrial training at Zhejiang University for one and a half years.
The programme will see the students being attached to a petrochemical plant in China to gain firsthand experience in a real-life operational refinery environment. Upon completion of the programme, the students will be offered employment at Hengyi Industries Sdn Bhd.
Yesterday’s scholarship agreement signing, the fifth for Hengyi, was held at the Chairman’s Lounge of Hengyi Industries’ offices at The Empire Hotel & Country Club.
Witnessing the event was Dr Haji Azman bin Ahmad, the Deputy Permanent Secretary (Higher Education) at the Ministry of Education.
Signing the agreements on behalf of Hengyi Industries Sdn Bhd was the company’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Chen Lian Cai, while the students signed their agreements in the presence of their parents as guarantors.
In his welcoming remarks, Chen noted that Hengyi will continue to be actively involved in the development of human resources in Brunei.
“Today the fifth scholarship signing ceremony involving 11 scholars dem-onstrate our continued commitment in further ensuring the right skill sets and employment opportunities are made available to young aspiring Bruneians,” said Chen.
“Our first and second batches of scholars have completed their studies and are employed by Hengyi. The third batch has competed their studies and industrial training in China and will begin their six-month internship with Hengyi. The fourth batch of scholars is in China and will complete the programme in July 2018.
“This annual joint scholarship programme between UBD and Zhejiang University has produced 68 scholars in total. The 11 scholars have spent one and a half years at UBD and will spend another one and half years at Zhejiang University in China.”
These students, Chen added, will undergo six months of industrial placement at one of Hengyi’s plants in China to gain firsthand work experience. Upon completion of the course, the students will be offered employment with Hengyi Industries in Brunei.
“With ongoing construction work at Pulau Muara Besar and in preparation for the commencement of operations, we take this opportunity to train and equip ourselves with the skill sets,” said the CEO.
He added that as a company, Hengyi has placed much emphasis on human capacity development with particular focus on developing locals.
“Having laid our foundation in Brunei, Hengyi Industries is excited to contribute to the economic growth of the country. Hengyi will endeavour to comply with every regulatory and technical requirement to ensure that our plant facilities and operations comply with local and international standards,” Chen said.
Muhammad Muiz bin Haji Ahmad, one of the scholarship recipients, explained to the Bulletin that the scholarship will be one of his key successes in his academic life.
“Having to study for one-and-a-half years in Zhejiang University will not be a problem, the language barrier will not be a hindrance as we’ve already taken a Mandarin course for three semesters [at UBD] and will continue learning the language while studying in China,” said Muhammad Muiz.
“I hope that our learning journey will be smooth and we will be able to adapt to the locals there.”
Twenty-one-year-old Wong Jun Hong, a second year chemical engineering student under the Faculty of Integrated Technologies (FIT) at UBD, expressed his gratitude at being awarded the scholarship.
“I hope that I will be able to contribute back to the country once I finish my studies,” he added.
The 11 signing the agreements yesterday are the fourth batch of students under the scholarship arrangement with UBD and Zhejiang University.
- 382.6 kg of Waste collected from Serasa Beach as part of Hengyi Industries Beach Cleanup
- 21 Scholars under Batch 5 of Hengyi Industries – IBTE Joint Scholarship Programme departs for Lanzhou to continue their studies
- Scholarships awarded to 21 Bright IBTE Talents under Hengyi Industries – IBTE Joint Scholarship Programme
- 20 Scholars under Hengyi Industries & UBD Joint Scholarship Programme celebrate completion of online studies with Zhejiang University.
- First batch of scholars under Hengyi Industries – PB Joint Collaboration Programme given the opportunity to study abroad at Lanzhou Petrochemical University.
- 26 Students under the Hengyi Industries - IBTE Joint Scholarship Programme set to continue their studies at Lanzhou Petrochemical University
- Hengyi Industries Fifth Blood Donation Drive successfully collects 60 pints
- Hengyi Industries Hosts Khatam Al-Quran Ceremony in Conjunction with Ramadhan
- Hengyi Industries holds Donation Drive to Help Underprivileged Families and Orphans
- Hengyi Industries Awards 30 Scholarships to UBD Students and Ink a Memorandum of Understanding with IBTE
- 500 tree saplings planted in Hengyi Industries’ 6th Reforestation Project
- 54 pints of blood donated by Hengyi’s staff in Hengyi Industries’ 4th Donation Drive
- Hengyi Industries – Politeknik Brunei Joint-Collaboration Programme
- Hengyi Industries Nurtures Local Talents By Awarding 108 Students With Scholarships and Donated $50,000 to Al-Ameerah Al-Hajjah Maryam School
- Hengyi Industries presents certificate of graduation to scholars under the UBD – ZJU Joint Scholarship Programme
- Hengyi Industries forge new USD263 million finance agreement with BIBD, Baiduri Bank and TAIB
- Hengyi Industries Shares Insights on Meeting the Maqasid Al-Shariah in the O&G Sector during the Brunei MYCE 2022 Energy Symposium
- Hengyi Industries Awards 207 students from PB and IBTE with Conditional Offer of Employment
- Hengyi Industries Holds Online Khatam Al-Quran Ceremony in conjunction with the Month of Ramadhan
- Hengyi Industries held a Two-Day Ramadhan Donation Drive Campaign for the Less Fortunate
- Hengyi Industries Donated Essential Lab Supplies to MOH
- Hengyi Industries Organises Khatam Al-Quran To Mark the Month of Ramadhan
- Hengyi Industries enlivens the holy month of Ramadhan through donation
- Hengyi Industries Contributes to Increasing Brunei’s Carbon Sink with 5 th Reforestation Project
- Hengyi Industries Holds Open Day with Local Institutions
- Hengyi Industries launches the Clean Beach Initiative
- Hengyi Industries’ Staff Participated in Friendly Badminton Competition
- 52 Hengyi’s staff participated in Hengyi’s Third Blood Donation Drive
- Hengyi Industries Conducts Tier 3 Emergency Response Tabletop Exercise
- Hengyi Industried Signed “Third-Party Health, Safety & Environment Management System (HSEMS) Audit Service Contract” With Bureau Veritas Brunei
- Hengyi Industries planted 500 trees in 4th Reforestation Project
- 500 trees planted in Hengyi 3rd Reforestation Project
- Hengyi Industries Awards 2nd Batch of IBTE Scholarship
- Hengyi Industries Awards 23 Scholarships to UBD Students
- Hengyi’s Second Blood Donation Drive Collects 66 Pints of Blood
- Hengyi Donates Medical Supplies to Schools
- First Domestic Supply of Refined Fuel Products From Hengyi
- Hengyi Fosters The Spirit of Giving During Ramadhan
- Hengyi Donates USD$1 Million Medical Supplies & Equipment to Ministry of Health
- Hengyi Industries conducts IBTE – Lanzhou Scholarship Programme Roadshow
- Hengyi Industries Celebrated Brunei’s 36th National Day
- Hengyi Industries 2nd Reforestation
- HENGYI INDUSTRIES JOIN MAULUD NABI PROCESSION
- SAFETY CASE CERTIFICATE
- BSP, BSM ink commercial deals with Hengyi
- Hengyi Conducts Naga-5 Emergency Response Exercise
- PUBLIC NOTICE : MAJOR EMERGENCY TIER 3 LIVE EXERCISE AT PULAU MUARA BESAR
- PENGUMUMAN : LATIHAN KECEMASAN BESAR-BESARAN TIER 3 DI TAMAN PERINDUSTRIAN PULAU MUARA BESAR
- PMB Development Steering Committee visits Hengyi
- Hengyi Hosts First Blood Donation Drive at PMB
- 5th Batch of UBD Scholars Graduate from Zhejiang University & Presentation of Collection of Ancient Chinese Paintings to UBD
- Hengyi Holds Hari Raya Open House 2019
- HENGYI ORGANISES MAJLIS KHATAM AL-QURAN 2019
- HENGYI DONATION CEREMONY 2019
- Hengyi Holds Reforestation Project
- PEMBERITAHUAN KEPADA PELAUT PELAUT BIL: 14/2019 (T) ** NOTICE TO MARINERS NO: 14/2019 (P)
- Hengyi conducts Public Engagement Session March 2019
- Pentauliahan Peringkat Pertama / STG No.1 Commissioning
- Hengyi Industries Awards 1st Batch of IBTE Scholarship
NOTICE TO PUBLIC
STEAM AND AIR BLOWING TO PIPELINES AND EQUIPMENT BY HENGYI INDUSTRIES SDN BHD AT PULAU MUARA BESAR
- Hengyi Industries Holds 6th Batch Scholarship Signing Ceremony
- Hengyi Industries Hosts Chinese New Year Gathering
- Hengyi Industries Hold Friendly Basketball Match
- Hengyi updates stakeholders on PMB Project Progress
- Hengyi updates stakeholders on PMB Project Progress April 2018
- Hengyi Industries take part in 24th National Traditional Boat Race Championship 2018
- Narcotics Control Bureau Roadshow
- Hengyi Industries take part in friendly sports match with Muara Police Station, Brunei-Muara Police District
- Fire & Rescue Department Conduct Training at PMB
- Successful delivery of the first batch of heavy cargos to the construction site for Hengyi PMB Petrochemical Project
- 11 UBD students to complete studies at Zhejiang University
- 619 PPK trainees join Hengyi’s PMB project
- Hengyi updates stakeholders on PMB Project Progress
- Inauguration Ceremony of Hengyi Industries International Private Limited, Singapore
- Hengyi reaches out to the less fortunate 2017
- Hengyi Updates Community on PMB Progress
- Hengyi Ambassador of The People’s Republic of China visits Hengyi’s Refinery Site at PMB
- Energy Division & Bank of China officials visit Hengyi’s Plant Site at PMB
- Hengyi Engaged Communicate on PMB Progress
- Chairman Qiu’s site visit to PMB
- Hengyi’s Cleaning Campaign on PMB
- Minister of Energy & Industry visits Hengyi’s Refinery Site at PMB
- Hengyi Celebrates End of Year Family Day
- Marine Department working visit to Hengyi’s Refinery Site at PMB
- Hengyi briefed Community in Open Dialogue
- HYBN participated in Brunei's 32nd National Day parade
- Hengyi Industries Signs Scholarship Agreements with UBD students
- Deputy Minister of Finance visit to Hengyi’s Refinery Site at PMB
- China Foregin Minister Visits PMB 2016
- Hengyi engaged Community in Open Dialogue
- China Development Bank briefed on Hengyi’s Refinery Project
- Hengyi’s ‘Keep Brunei Clean’ Campaign at PMB
- Hengyi industries holds blood donation campaign
- Hengyi reaches out to the less fortunate
- UBD Scholars Graduate from Zhejiang University
- Hengyi engaged Community in Open Dialogue
- Ambassador of The People’s Republic of China visit Hengyi’s Refinery Site at PMB
- Hengyi Industries Signs Scholarship Agreements with UBD & Jefri Bolkiah students
- Hengyi’s ‘Keep Brunei Clean’ 2015 Campaign at PMB