January 9, 2018 WITH 619 trainees of the Capacity Building Centre (PPK) gaining employment at the Hengyi Petrochemical Plant at Pulau Muara Besar (PMB), unemployment in the country has declined by 0.3 per cent at the end of December 2017.
PPK and other initiatives such as i-Ready, Industry Competency Framework (ICF), JobCentre Brunei (JCB) together contributed to a reduction in unemployment from six per cent to five per cent, the Energy and Industry Department at the Prime Minister’s Office (EIDPMO) said in a statement issued during the send-off ceremony for the second batch of the first cohort of 286 PPK trainees (Group B) who departed to join the Hengyi project yesterday.
By end of 2018, PPK plans to enrol and train up to 3,000 local jobseekers, the statement added.
Of the PPK Graduate Cohort 1, 579 trainees joined the Hengyi project in January 2018 and 293 reported for work on January 2 (Group A), while 40 trainees of the Heavy Vehicle Driver (HVD) programme joined PMB since December 2017.
Both groups of trainees will be reporting to work under the main contractors of the Hengyi project.
The Capacity Building Centre (PPK) is a multi-programme vocational skill training centre operated by the EIDPMO at the former Pengiran Anak Puteri Hajah Masna Secondary School in Kampong Lambak Kanan which has undergone refurbishment.
The objective of PPK is to help reduce unemployment in the country and build up a competent national workforce. This is achieved by upskilling local jobseekers through two to six months’ training programmes that are aligned to industry needs.
Sending off the trainees yesterday were Dato Seri Paduka Awang Haji Mohamad Roselan bin Haji Mohamad Daud, Deputy Minister at the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO); Dato Paduka Awang Haji Jamain bin Haji Julaihi, Deputy Minister Energy and Industry at the PMO; Haji Mohamad Azmi bin Haji Mohd Hanifah, Permanent Secretary (Energy and Industry) at the PMO; Haji Kamaludin bin Haji Bungsu, Pemanent Secretary (Manpower and SHENA) at the PMO; PPK staff as well as members of Registered Training Organisations (RTOs).
As part of Local Business Development and to ensure that local firms are able to participate in the government’s employment generation initiative, five main contractors of Hengyi’s PMB project have formed joint ventures with local companies while some are yet to be formed. The joint ventures formed include Joint Venture China Sinogy Electric Engineering Co Ltd/Sahid Sdn Bhd; Joint Venture China Chemical Engineering Second Construction Corporation/Mashhor General Contractor Sdn Bhd; Joint Venture China National Chemical Engineering Third Construction Co Ltd/Joffren Omar Sdn Bhd; Joint Venture China Construction Installation Engineering Co Ltd/PTAS Sdn Bhd; and Joint Venture NJNCC (B) Sdn Bhd/Hj Adinin & Sons.
All the new employees will have to work for five days a week on rotation basis and have been provided with accommodation on shared basis at PMB. Meals will be provided three times a day at the dedicated mess.
There will be separate male and female dormitories, with the female quarters fully guarded with female security personnel on 24-hour basis. Surau facilities are also provided. There will be also 200 parking spaces available at Serasa PBS yard.
Meanwhile, sharing her experience during the training programme, Nur Suziahyanti, an insulator trainee under NJNCC, said, “Alhamdulillah, we were given rigorous training for three months to prepare us for our work at Pulau Muara Besar.
Liyana binti Awang and Siti Mas Nidah binti Zaini, woodcraft trainees, said they are highly optimistic about their upcoming work with NJNCC.
“Together with the training on woodcraft provided by experienced officers as well as safety training provided by PPK, we hope to gain experience throughout our three-year contract with NJNCC, working on Hengyi’s main project at Pulau Muara Besar.”
The standard curriculum for the PPK training programme is 20 per cent theory and 80 per cent practical. Training is delivered by industry-experienced instructors from RTOs.
To facilitate entry into PPK, educational requirements have been kept to a minimum – which is Year 9. However, on a case-by-case basis consideration may be given if educational level of applicant is below Year 9. The typical age range for entry is from 18-40, with the upper age limit flexible based on medical and physical condition of the jobseeker.
However, there are mandatory entry requirements for specific programmes. For example, HVD programme applicants need to be aged 21 and above and has a valid Class 3 driving licence. Other mandatory requirements for certain programmes include passing a colour blindness test.
The programme for the first cohort started in September 2017 and ended in December 2017 for Mason/Plasterer, Woodcraft, Steelcraft, Rigger, Scaffolder, Marker Fitter/Riveter, Blaster Painter and Insulator; while for Heavy Vehicle Driver programme ended in November 2017.
Apart from learning fundamentals in Health, Safety and Environment (HSE), the trainees have also been given exposures in motivational and entrepreneurial talks by subject matter experts. Malay Islamic Monarchy (MIB) and religious subjects also form part of the curriculum.
At present, these courses are developed for the construction industry as a priority, particularly targeted to meet the manpower demands of Brunei Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) project Hengyi Petrochemical Plant at Pulau Muara Besar.
To ensure trainees secure employment after training at PPK, every trainee is given a Conditional Offer of Employment (COE) from an employer while in training.
A total of 2,836 Conditional Offer of Employment was secured at Hengyi, which means all trainees who have completed their training at PPK, will be absorbed for immediate employment at PMB, subject to medical clearance.
PPK will be starting four new programmes, ie Welder, Mechanical Fitter, Electrical and Instrument Mechanics in January 2018. Other programmes that will also be starting in 2018 include Plant Refinery Operator, Production Operator and Sewing Operator. These programmes will run from six months to two years, the statement said.
The second intake at PPK, which started January 8, 2018, has a total of 852 trainees enrolled. Continuous improvements continued to be incorporated in this second intake based on learning and feedback of the first intake. New programmes will be launched soon by PPK equip jobseekers with skills to service incoming FDIs, other industries and employers, the statement added.
Interested jobseekers are invited to visit the JobCentre Brunei website for details and to send in their applications.
- Hengyi Industries Marks Historic Milestone with the Signing of Phase 2 Implementation Agreement and Memorandum of Understanding between Universiti Brunei Darussalam and Zhejiang University
- 382.6 kg of Waste collected from Serasa Beach as part of Hengyi Industries Beach Cleanup
- 21 Scholars under Batch 5 of Hengyi Industries – IBTE Joint Scholarship Programme departs for Lanzhou to continue their studies
- Scholarships awarded to 21 Bright IBTE Talents under Hengyi Industries – IBTE Joint Scholarship Programme
- 20 Scholars under Hengyi Industries & UBD Joint Scholarship Programme celebrate completion of online studies with Zhejiang University.
- First batch of scholars under Hengyi Industries – PB Joint Collaboration Programme given the opportunity to study abroad at Lanzhou Petrochemical University.
- 26 Students under the Hengyi Industries - IBTE Joint Scholarship Programme set to continue their studies at Lanzhou Petrochemical University
- Hengyi Industries Fifth Blood Donation Drive successfully collects 60 pints
- Hengyi Industries Hosts Khatam Al-Quran Ceremony in Conjunction with Ramadhan
- Hengyi Industries holds Donation Drive to Help Underprivileged Families and Orphans
- Hengyi Industries Awards 30 Scholarships to UBD Students and Ink a Memorandum of Understanding with IBTE
- 500 tree saplings planted in Hengyi Industries’ 6th Reforestation Project
- 54 pints of blood donated by Hengyi’s staff in Hengyi Industries’ 4th Donation Drive
- Hengyi Industries – Politeknik Brunei Joint-Collaboration Programme
- Hengyi Industries Nurtures Local Talents By Awarding 108 Students With Scholarships and Donated $50,000 to Al-Ameerah Al-Hajjah Maryam School
- Hengyi Industries presents certificate of graduation to scholars under the UBD – ZJU Joint Scholarship Programme
- Hengyi Industries forge new USD263 million finance agreement with BIBD, Baiduri Bank and TAIB
- Hengyi Industries Shares Insights on Meeting the Maqasid Al-Shariah in the O&G Sector during the Brunei MYCE 2022 Energy Symposium
- Hengyi Industries Awards 207 students from PB and IBTE with Conditional Offer of Employment
- Hengyi Industries Holds Online Khatam Al-Quran Ceremony in conjunction with the Month of Ramadhan
- Hengyi Industries held a Two-Day Ramadhan Donation Drive Campaign for the Less Fortunate
- Hengyi Industries Donated Essential Lab Supplies to MOH
- Hengyi Industries Organises Khatam Al-Quran To Mark the Month of Ramadhan
- Hengyi Industries enlivens the holy month of Ramadhan through donation
- Hengyi Industries Contributes to Increasing Brunei’s Carbon Sink with 5 th Reforestation Project
- Hengyi Industries Holds Open Day with Local Institutions
- Hengyi Industries launches the Clean Beach Initiative
- Hengyi Industries’ Staff Participated in Friendly Badminton Competition
- 52 Hengyi’s staff participated in Hengyi’s Third Blood Donation Drive
- Hengyi Industries Conducts Tier 3 Emergency Response Tabletop Exercise
- Hengyi Industried Signed “Third-Party Health, Safety & Environment Management System (HSEMS) Audit Service Contract” With Bureau Veritas Brunei
- Hengyi Industries planted 500 trees in 4th Reforestation Project
- 500 trees planted in Hengyi 3rd Reforestation Project
- Hengyi Industries Awards 2nd Batch of IBTE Scholarship
- Hengyi Industries Awards 23 Scholarships to UBD Students
- Hengyi’s Second Blood Donation Drive Collects 66 Pints of Blood
- Hengyi Donates Medical Supplies to Schools
- First Domestic Supply of Refined Fuel Products From Hengyi
- Hengyi Fosters The Spirit of Giving During Ramadhan
- Hengyi Donates USD$1 Million Medical Supplies & Equipment to Ministry of Health
- Hengyi Industries conducts IBTE – Lanzhou Scholarship Programme Roadshow
- Hengyi Industries Celebrated Brunei’s 36th National Day
- Hengyi Industries 2nd Reforestation
- HENGYI INDUSTRIES JOIN MAULUD NABI PROCESSION
- SAFETY CASE CERTIFICATE
- BSP, BSM ink commercial deals with Hengyi
- Hengyi Conducts Naga-5 Emergency Response Exercise
- PUBLIC NOTICE : MAJOR EMERGENCY TIER 3 LIVE EXERCISE AT PULAU MUARA BESAR
- PENGUMUMAN : LATIHAN KECEMASAN BESAR-BESARAN TIER 3 DI TAMAN PERINDUSTRIAN PULAU MUARA BESAR
- PMB Development Steering Committee visits Hengyi
- Hengyi Hosts First Blood Donation Drive at PMB
- 5th Batch of UBD Scholars Graduate from Zhejiang University & Presentation of Collection of Ancient Chinese Paintings to UBD
- Hengyi Holds Hari Raya Open House 2019
- HENGYI ORGANISES MAJLIS KHATAM AL-QURAN 2019
- HENGYI DONATION CEREMONY 2019
- Hengyi Holds Reforestation Project
- PEMBERITAHUAN KEPADA PELAUT PELAUT BIL: 14/2019 (T) ** NOTICE TO MARINERS NO: 14/2019 (P)
- Hengyi conducts Public Engagement Session March 2019
- Pentauliahan Peringkat Pertama / STG No.1 Commissioning
- Hengyi Industries Awards 1st Batch of IBTE Scholarship
NOTICE TO PUBLIC
STEAM AND AIR BLOWING TO PIPELINES AND EQUIPMENT BY HENGYI INDUSTRIES SDN BHD AT PULAU MUARA BESAR
- Hengyi Industries Holds 6th Batch Scholarship Signing Ceremony
- Hengyi Industries Hosts Chinese New Year Gathering
- Hengyi Industries Hold Friendly Basketball Match
- Hengyi updates stakeholders on PMB Project Progress
- Hengyi updates stakeholders on PMB Project Progress April 2018
- Hengyi Industries take part in 24th National Traditional Boat Race Championship 2018
- Narcotics Control Bureau Roadshow
- Hengyi Industries take part in friendly sports match with Muara Police Station, Brunei-Muara Police District
- Fire & Rescue Department Conduct Training at PMB
- Successful delivery of the first batch of heavy cargos to the construction site for Hengyi PMB Petrochemical Project
- 11 UBD students to complete studies at Zhejiang University
- 619 PPK trainees join Hengyi’s PMB project
- Hengyi updates stakeholders on PMB Project Progress
- Inauguration Ceremony of Hengyi Industries International Private Limited, Singapore
- Hengyi reaches out to the less fortunate 2017
- Hengyi Updates Community on PMB Progress
- Hengyi Ambassador of The People’s Republic of China visits Hengyi’s Refinery Site at PMB
- Energy Division & Bank of China officials visit Hengyi’s Plant Site at PMB
- Hengyi Engaged Communicate on PMB Progress
- Chairman Qiu’s site visit to PMB
- Hengyi’s Cleaning Campaign on PMB
- Minister of Energy & Industry visits Hengyi’s Refinery Site at PMB
- Hengyi Celebrates End of Year Family Day
- Marine Department working visit to Hengyi’s Refinery Site at PMB
- Hengyi briefed Community in Open Dialogue
- HYBN participated in Brunei's 32nd National Day parade
- Hengyi Industries Signs Scholarship Agreements with UBD students
- Deputy Minister of Finance visit to Hengyi’s Refinery Site at PMB
- China Foregin Minister Visits PMB 2016
- Hengyi engaged Community in Open Dialogue
- China Development Bank briefed on Hengyi’s Refinery Project
- Hengyi’s ‘Keep Brunei Clean’ Campaign at PMB
- Hengyi industries holds blood donation campaign
- Hengyi reaches out to the less fortunate
- UBD Scholars Graduate from Zhejiang University
- Hengyi engaged Community in Open Dialogue
- Ambassador of The People’s Republic of China visit Hengyi’s Refinery Site at PMB
- Hengyi Industries Signs Scholarship Agreements with UBD & Jefri Bolkiah students
- Hengyi’s ‘Keep Brunei Clean’ 2015 Campaign at PMB